The steadfast love of the Lord never ceases; his mercies never come to an end; they are new every morning; great is your faithfulness. “The Lord is my portion,” says my soul, “therefore I will hope in him.” The Lord is good to those who wait for him, to the soul who seeks him. It is good that one should wait quietly for the salvation of the Lord.
Absolute fear and horror. That’s what the people felt when Babylon’s brutal soldiers marched into Jerusalem to destroy the city. Jeremiah knew that Babylon was an instrument of God’s judgment for Israel’s sin. And through his laments he wrestles with God. Surrounded by destruction, Jeremiah stopped for a moment to focus on the goodness of God.
These are the things that Jeremiah calls to mind which gives him hope.
- God’s great love. Jeremiah reminds himself and his readers that they are alive only because of God’s steadfast love. Even in the most desperate times God’s great compassion never fails. You may be in a difficult situation today. Remember how much God loves you.
- God’s great faithfulness. Even when we are faithless, God is faithful. We can always depend on him to bring a fresh pouring out of his love and compassion every morning. God will give us everything we need…one day at a time.
- God’s great salvation. Deliverance for Israel would not come the next day or the day after that. But they knew that God was their “portion” (their only hope) and they chose to wait on him. Can you “wait quietly for the salvation of the Lord”? He will come…in his way and in his timing.
- Cry out to God in the middle of your mess. You don’t have to clean up before asking for his help. You can only clean up by his help.
- In the middle of your confusion and pain, thank God for his love and faithfulness. Be still and wait for his deliverance in his timing.
Father, thank you for your great love, faithfulness, and salvation that comes even in the most difficult times. Help me to wait on you…even when waiting and trusting is really hard. In Jesus’ name. Amen.
Today on The Journey Broadcast: