For where your treasure is, there your heart will be also.
I have always thought “For where your treasure is, there your heart will be also” should have read “For where your heart is, there your treasure will be also.” Don’t we always follow our hearts? But…Jesus knew exactly what the word placement should be. He well understood that man’s heart always follows his stuff.
It’s hard for us to get an honest assessment of our hearts. I have seen the most “rational” people rationalize the most ridiculous things. I have seen many “spiritual” people spiritualize the most earthly things. The OT prophet Jeremiah hit the nail on the head when he said, “The heart is deceitful above all things, and desperately sick; who can understand it?” (Jeremiah 17:9). So, we need to evaluate the tangible to get a read on the spiritual.
- Check your bank statement. Where is your money going? That’s where your heart is.
- Check your calendar. How do you spend your time? That’s where your heart is.
- Check your entertainment. How do you amuse yourself? That’s where your heart is.
- Check your internet history. That’s where your heart is.
- Journal your thoughts. What are the recurring themes, those “echoes”? That’s where your heart is.
- Replay your conversations. How do you use words? That’s what’s in your heart.
My “treasure” is the best tool to evaluate my “heart.” Convicting, isn’t it?
Talking to God
Father, it is too easy to read this and pass over it. So, please help me find the time to slow down and do a true assessment. Help me honestly evaluate where I put my money, time, and energy. Show me what I am thinking about most of the time. By your Spirit evaluate my heart. Help me be an example to my children and grandchildren. May my life find you as my eternal treasure. In Jesus’ name. Amen.
Today on The Journey Broadcast: