And you, my child, will be called a prophet of the Most High; for you will go on before the Lord to prepare the way for him, to give his people the knowledge of salvation through the forgiveness of their sins, because of the tender mercy of our God, by which the rising sun will come to us from heaven to shine on those living in darkness and in the shadow of death, to guide our feet into the path of peace.
Zechariah had given up hope that he would ever have a son. Now his son, John had arrived and Zechariah burst out into praise. Let’s look at the rich truth in this portion of the song.
- A prophet of the Most High. John’s purpose was to be a spokesman for God.
- A preparer of the way. Like a farmer prepares the soil for seed, so John prepared hearts for Jesus.
- Knowledge of salvation. In our sinful state we cry out in desperate need of a Savior.
- Forgiveness. The downloading of guilt and shame. The uploading of cleansing.
- Mercy. In His grace God gives us what we do not deserve. In His mercy He doesn’t give us what we do deserve.
- Light. Sin produces a darkened life living in the shadow of death. Jesus brings the light.
- Peace. We run after things that never satisfy until Jesus shines His light, showing us the path of peace.
Father, thank You for Jesus. Thank You for His forgiveness, mercy, light and peace. Thank You for the salvation we find only in Him. Thank You for those who prepared the way for me to come to the knowledge of salvation. In Jesus’ name. Amen.
Today on The Journey Broadcast: