Oh, the depth of the riches and wisdom and knowledge of God! How unsearchable are his judgments and how inscrutable his ways! “For who has known the mind of the Lord, or who has been his counselor? Or who has given a gift to him that he might be repaid?” For from him and through him and to him are all things. To him be glory forever. Amen.
Paul’s beautiful doxology proclaims that the greatness of God blows the wiring of our human minds! Included in this passage are seven truths about the magnitude of God.
- God is beyond man’s full discovery. On our best day with our clearest thinking, we will never be able to fully ascertain the “depths of the riches and wisdom and knowledge of God.”
- God’s ways are beyond man’s comprehension. There is no way our finite minds can grasp the infinite Creator.
- God is beyond the need for man’s counsel. God does not need our advice on how to run the universe.
- God is not indebted to man. No person offered anything to God that God needs to repay.
- God is the first cause. He is the Source from which all things come.
- God is the efficient cause. He is the Agent through which all things exist.
- God is the final cause. To him, all things return and wait for his judgment.
Talking to God
Father, there is only one way to respond to your power and majesty—to you alone be the glory forever and ever! Amen.
Today on The Journey Broadcast: