Go therefore and make disciples of all nations, baptizing them in the name of the Father and of the Son and of the Holy Spirit, teaching them to observe all that I have commanded you. And behold, I am with you always, to the end of the age.
It’s called the Great Commission. Jesus was clear that those who follow him must follow hard after him. There is work to do. Life is short and eternity is long. We are called to “make hay while the sun shines” (as my mom was fond of saying).
Let’s check out these four commands.
- GO! Jesus calls us to action. Life with Jesus is more than simply reading another theological book or attending a Christian conference. Those things are needed for refueling but Christians don’t live at the “gas station.” It’s time to get on the road and go!
- MAKE DISCIPLES OF ALL NATIONS! Making disciples includes leading a person to Christ but it doesn’t stop there. Jesus does not call us to mass-produce nominal Christians. We are commanded to help people throughout the world become rooted in the foundations of the faith.
- BAPTIZE! Baptism is an outward demonstration that Jesus has transformed your life. It is driving a spiritual stake in the ground. In essence, baptism is the ordinance that says, “I’m all in!”
- TEACH! We must accurately explain God’s inerrant authoritative Word with practical application. Biblical knowledge is not for making our heads bigger but is for making our hearts stronger. Knowing what the Bible says is the starting line; doing what the Bible says is participating in the race.
And check this out. Wherever we go, we are never alone. Jesus is always with us…even to the end. That great promise is the exclamation to the Great Commission.
- Ask God to help you make disciples of those in your network of family and friends.
- If you have not been baptized as a believer, ask God to give you the courage to obey.
Lord Jesus, give us the courage to go, the urgency to make disciples, commitment to baptize, and passion to teach. Thank you for always being with us. Amen.
Today on The Journey Broadcast: